Competition YakComp 34: “Did that shadow just move?”

Yakcomp 34 ‘Did that shadow just move?’ (Pick upto 3)

• @medmos ‘bitten off more than one can chew’

• @suboptimusprime ‘Hunter/Hunted’

• @scavvierising ‘The Berk Hunt’

• @biggle_bear ‘In the wrong part of town’

• @stoof ‘Its just a box’

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I liked that character too. Isn't there a weird power along the lines of dematerializing? That could fit the shadow power.
Another favourite from Ninja Scroll was the dude with the wasp nest as part of his back (Mushizo), which I plan of doing something similar with some of my Tyranids (I’ve scribbled notes for my “Mushizo’nids”). :) The dematerialisation wyrd powers are Teleport and Walk Through Walls, while I did think of those I guess I missed it when trying to type/vent my spleen of conscience. Both could work, but neither really fit what I’m thinking. :/

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Managed to get some work done on my entry finally.
The idea is that the orrus is pinning the scum down so the malcadon can be all sneaky and get in there and be all stabby stab stab.
Had the bitz in a box to build the spyrers for some time. Glad I found the motivation to get them together.
The Brotherhood of Eminently Renowned Killers.
AKA The Berk Hunt, The Old Berk's Club.
Edit: (if you're outside the UK you may need yo lookup Berk rhyming slang. It's to offensive for me to just type it. You have been warned)
Is actually now a reality.
Disclaimer: The scummer was assembled by @KungFuPanda also the bases.

Last edited:

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Managed to get some work done on my entry finally.
The idea is that the orrus is pinning the scum down so the malcadon can be all sneaky and get in there and be all stabby stab stab.
Had the bitz in a box to build the spyrers for some time. Glad I found the motivation to get them together.
The Brotherhood of Eminently Renowned Killers.
AKA The Berk Hunt, The Old Berk's Club.
Edit: (if you're outside the UK you may need yo lookup Berk rhyming slang. It's to offensive for me to just type it. You have been warned)
Is actually now a reality.
Disclaimer: The scummer was assembled by @KungFuPanda also the bases.

The malacadon looks like phantom of the opera in the underhive. It looks super cool.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
And once again, my hand is forced by deadlines. This is where I am at right now:

That thing I am holding is Jochen*. He's a vent Ray, another dangerous species of Hive Primus, and the quarry for Mr."About to be kicked to his death". And I am super unsure what to do with the base. It works, the color does not dissolve the styrofoam, but I fear I do not have enough room for the critter, so I might gut the whole thing again and work without the styrofoam. Considering the deadline is creeping closer (when is it exactly, anyway?) I should make up my mind soon, seeing how everything else is mostly done.

*Should anyone speaking German stumble upon this, yes, I named him "Jochen der Rochen". I will not defend this, but have no regrets either.

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Orrus complete. Not sure about the colour scheme but experience has shown me from painting iron warrior's that it is a forgiving scheme when it comes to sloppy edge highlighting.
Did little more work on building the malcadon as well. Ripped his punch dagger arm off and replaced it with another regular dagger to match the other one and give it slightly more natural pose.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Loving the entires so far, look forward to seeing them completed :)

....I’ve finally kinda figured out what I *could* make, but there is no way I could do it in 3 days, not with my procrastination stats P-:

Reactions: Scavvierising

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Having mental block painting malcadon. So being slightly ahead of schedule I thought I might try to get a second victim in there.
This was my first choice being one of necromunda's greatest mini's. The scummer took the lead as it will actually have a place on the tabletop soon.
So following.gw design principle of

More models/books/dice/rules/contradictions/bare feet(delete as appropriate)=More fun.
I shall add more victims.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2019
Right, honest to the Omnissiah, last WIP:

Who would have thought mounting a metal screamer of Tzeentch turned underhive critter to the front of a light plastic diorama would make the whole thing structurally unstable? Well, I can solve this, and until I do, that water cup is a structurally integral part. Anyway, will be done by tomorrow mid-day I presume (some GS in there needs to dry) then pictures.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2019
I, @SuboptimusPrime submit this thing here as my official entry to Yakcomp34 "Did that shadow just move" under the title "Hunter/Hunted", and I did indeed keep some WIP pictures here: https://yaktribe.games/community/media/albums/competitions-and-such.3790/

Almost forgot! From the category "This will never show up properly in a photo", @Chaos Moomin requested a critter, and here he is:

“Timing. It all comes down to timing” his father used to say. Miklosh dialed the light magnification of his goggles up to maximum and continued to watch for the tell-tale photoluminescent glow of his preys’ eyes. Vent skates were strange creatures, with their glowing eyes, moving through the air like they were immersed in liquid. They had large teeth, more like tusks, shimmering like finest ivory, which could rip straight through mesh armor. And the plates on their bellies were hard enough to turn aside autogun rounds and festooned with hooks that could pierce and disembowel a man in one fell swoop. Both were valuable to craftsmen in Ventbase, and Miklosh remembered a time when all he cared about was hunting these creatures to sell their parts in the depths of thermal vent 25. He had neither known nor cared what they were or where they came from, as much as he had not known or cared what was beyond the kilometer-deep abyss of thermal vent 25, the place he was born, the place his father taught him how to hunt, and the place where he had himself expected to hunt until he died, like his father, ripped open and pulled off a platform by one of the skates. Miklosh had seen that, and he still saw it sometimes in his dreams. But that was his old life. He knew new things now. Better things. He reminisced for a few seconds while staring into the unfathomable darkness beyond the edge of the platform he stood on, trap and bait at the same time, listening for any sound or light to hint at a skate approaching. He remembered going to his favorite drinking hole in Ventbase after a particularly good haul some months back. He had met an old friend, Kon, a fellow hunter he hadn’t seen in a while. Kon had told him about the church of the many-armed Emperor, and that they were looking for skilled hunters to clear the vent skates out of a section of the thermal sink. He’d been hesitant at first, never being much of a man of faith. The Emperor was at the very top of humanity, on his throne, and did not much care for the ones at the bottom, like Miklosh and his father. But the sermons were quite gripping, the pay was good, and after a few runs he kept coming to the sermons without even wanting pay any more. Funny thing, that, and he felt for a second that it used to have bothered him, doing this for free. But this pang of distant doubt was silenced by another memory. Mother Hannah had shown him there was more than just killing for a living. There was a community there, in the church of His four-armed glory, and the many-armed embrace of the Emperor comforted him in a way he never knew he needed, healed a loneliness he never had allowed himself to acknowledge. True, the sacraments of the inner circle had been...strange... he remembered little, but he felt stronger than before, faster, more aware of the greater whole he was a part of. So now he hunted again, not for sport or profit, but for the glory of the church. The skates, formerly deadly pests in his eyes, were revealed to him as creatures worthy of awe and hatred. For they stood in opposition to the expansion of the Church and were thus anathema. They needed to be removed in order for the church to establish themselves in these vents, so that one day all of Palatine might see their glory, the voice of mother Hannah boomed in his head, almost as if she were here, and he was not just remembering her words.

That was why he stood there in the gloom, waiting for the right time. Timing. It all comes down to timing. The skates were fast, very fast, and very deadly. Their mode of hunting was simple but effective, swoop up from below and rip into your prey with your teeth, and if that failed, loop around and take them off their feet with the hooks on your armored belly, sending them to their deaths below. But the skates also loved eating things that fell from the higher levels, many hundred meters above, and their instinct was to swoop at and swallow anything that flew at them. So if you got your timing right, and dodged that initial attack, and then threw a concussion charge like the one he was holding at them as they came round, they’d swallow that and usually die from the explosion in their cursed father-taking gullets, before crashing down right next to where you stood. And if they didn’t die right away, they were so mangled and ripped open you could put them out for good with a well-aimed burst of your autogun, like the shiny new one he had received as a gift, from Mother Hannah herself. All of these thoughts were also swept aside by instinct and experience when he saw a quartet of glowing green dots emerge from a side-vent far below, moving towards him. A skate, a big one, at least two meters across. Miklosh felt not fear, nor anticipation, only cold concentration as he steadied himself and focused on the leathery, rippling sound of the rapidly approaching creature. For a brief second, he thought he heard another sound, like a soft rubber sole on the girders behind him, but that sound was drowned out by the shrill cry of the skate, just like Miklosh’s scream as a sharp kick to his lower back toppled him into the abyss below.

The man made a loud noise as he fell, but the mournful call of the strange flying creature camouflaged it almost completely, right on time. What had killed the man stood stock still for several heartbeats, the sensors in its impassive white mask scanning for any response from the other cultists further up the vent. Nothing. The shadow coalesced into the shape of a wiry woman in a drab bodyglove, her every move measured with the care of a stalking predator. She checked her rifle before mentally keying her comm, her voice inaudible to anyone but herself and her Ordo Xenos masters. “Chie-7 reporting xeno down. No alarms. Beginning infiltration of primary objective. Over.” She allowed herself a brief moment of elation at the clean kill, as her fluid motions carried her towards the hideout of the abominations worshipping the great Devourer, abominations that had once been humans. They too would die, and if her skills did not fail her, no alarm would ever be raised. Exactly as with that sentry. “Timing. It all comes down to timing”, she thought to herself, as her form vanished into the perpetual gloom of the Underhive.

Last edited:

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Final spyrer done. Given up on second victim but he did provide a welcome distraction. Allowing me to get back on the malcadon today.

Added a bare foot trophy so people will know I make sport of poor people in a grimdark fashion. s is the Citadel way.