Competition Yakcomp 36: "And Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al"

Yakcomp 36: "And Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al" (Upto 3 votes)

• @CaptainDangerous ‘Rockdrill Omega Rockdrill Legatus and Praefectus’

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • @MedMos "Have you met Sliza Minelli?"

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • @Coenus Scaldingus ‘Heatshiv and Catty’

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • @Hawkins44 ‘Ranger Scoresby & Reconnaissance Automata 030Ø-2’

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • @ClockworkOrange ‘Rad, Dances with Snake'

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • @Pierric ’Rust Town Oh là là’

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Order! order! ORDER!

Place all votes in either the first box or 2nd box from bottom and move along citizens! All other votes will be deemed to be extreme HERESY!

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
There are no brakes on the heresy train, and none on my voting finger either. What does that mean? I can't say. I literally can't, they infected my vox unit with scrapcode so whenever I try to explain όλα αλλάζουν σε όποια κι αν είναι αυτή η γλώσσα.

• Haha
Reactions: Aulenback

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
The results are in!

CONGRATULATIONS @Coenus Scaldingus!
and Well done to @Hawkins44 and @MedMos for second and third respectively!

ill sort out the shiney red banners as soon as I can, and be in touch with Mr Scaldingus to discuss the next theme!
@Mad Robot will also get in touch, praise be to his insane mechanical generosity!

good work to all who entered and a personal thank you to the three yaks who took pity on my poor excuse for an entry! 😁😋

The Next YakComp won’t be until After the Festive Season, so sit back enjoy the rest, and I hope to see many many more entries in the new year!

Last edited:

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Leader board updated

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
From the horrifying depths of Praxis IV, I congratulate everyone for participating, and @Coenus Scaldingus for winning!!

I'll do better next time and only enter if I have a really concrete idea. Trust me, I learned my lesson, I used up my daily 2 minute break for this. *irritating ringing* And it's over, gotta take this. Adeptus Mechanicus Hotline, how may I help you? No sir, it's supposed to do that. Yes, with the screaming and all...

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
You want me to reveal my secret know-how, @Pierric ? Hmmm... Alrighty then.

To achieve this effect, I used cheap, stiff, crude old brush. Like this (pic from the internet), but smaller, about size 6 or 8, I can't remember, and the number is no longer readable, as I have the brush since... elementary school?
17-2.jpg

And a smaller, similarly stiff round brush to do the black part of the leather and places I can't reach with the large brush, about size 2 or 3.

I used stippilng and drybrush techniques, and also something between, to achieve the old leather look.
I, or course, used finer brushes to do the edges and the finer details, and final touches but the main texture was done with the old brushes.

It is also good for painting battered, unpainted metal, or crude scratches (Leadbelcher as base, then silver or chrome as scratch texture). It can be seen on the Automata, and also on the Lord Discordant I posted on my instagram account (link in signature)

TL;DR: Use old-ass, stiff brush.

Hope that helps!

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Just passes by, dropping this...

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The Next YakComp won’t be until After the Festive Season, so sit back enjoy the rest, and I hope to see many many more entries in the new year!
the most challenging part is now: decide on a subject for the next round! Hmm... If only there was a dedicated thread with ideas somewhere...

Any updates on the next comp? Not bothered whether it's sooner or later, but would like an idea of when so I know whether to start on something else or to wait.