Competition Yakcomp 39: "Secret Society”

YakComp 39 : ‘Secret Society’ Voting (pick upto 3)

• @MedMos ‘A chance meeting in the ruins’

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • @Hawkins44 ’Kriegsman’

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • @Casus ’The Ghostraven Tribe and their precious Scrap Totem, complete with glowing (LED) crystal Gho

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • @Ben_S ‘Cawdor heavy with flamer.’

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @Ben_S ‘Cawdor leader, inspired of course by the classic Redemptionist.’

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • @julezwr ’Disciple of The Cult of the Sump Mother’

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • @The Tailor ‘the splendoor’

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
For Necromunda I’m thinking it’s a makeshift lasgun. The nail bead at the end is like a focusing gem or crystal. I’m hoping there’s something similar in Turnip28, or it’ll just be a “counts as” or I won’t have to worry about it because I’ll probably never get a chance to play it.

julezwr

Juve
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 9, 2020
Nelson, New Zealand
Here is my Disciple of The Cult of the Sump Mother and entry for the Yakcomp 39: "Secret Society”.

At the very bottom of the Hive City, below the underhive lies the Sump. All scum and waste, be it living or matter eventually filters down to these dark depths of depravity.

The Cult of the Sump Mother was once a cult that worshiped the Hive’s Sump as a living profane god.

What these worshipers didn’t realise was that they were deceived by Chaos and what they thought were the miracles of the Sump Mother were actually the workings of Grandfather Nurgle.

Slowly these worshipers succumb to the taint of Nurgle and they became undying and free from pain as they let pestilence and decay ravage and fill their bodies and minds, all believing that it was the miracle of the Sump Mother.

There lies an area deep within the Sump that has become a a place of worship for the Cult. A garden of pestilence and decay that reflects that of their true god and master, the Lord of Pestilence. Fungi and Algae grown from rotten flesh and rivers of rot and muck fill the landscape with such vibrant yet deadly colour.

Here is a Disciple of the Cult of the Sump Mother trudging through the rotting swamps of this pestilent garden. Lichen and dodder growing out of his rotting flesh. Lifeless eyes glowing with disease. An old, corroded chain glaive held tightly in his decaying fingers. An old gas mask once worn to protect him from noxious gasses now fused to his very skin. And as a last gift from Nurgle, septic antlers grow from his back like a set of skeletal wings.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The deadline for this comp will be midnight BST on Sunday the 26th of September 2021.

Still at least 24 hours remaining yaks! Lets see those entries!

*Scratches head* By my reckoning, it's about 8.5 hours - much less than 24.

I got some varnish on mine this morning, so am intending to take some photos shortly.

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
hopefully its not too late and I'm only entering a a piece of terrain but I saw the contest and it stroked my imagination last night. I've been trying to make some bulkheads for each of the main gangs and thought a genestealer one would be cool so made this print yesterday and painted it today so its a bit ugly also I'm really a bad painter. the cultist is unfortunately a old one so he doesn't count.

unfortunately there was a issue printing the top right icon so that failed but i figure it could just be that particular branch of the cult was wiped out.

I've set it too public access if anyone wants a look at and possible print and make a better one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4975301

Last edited:

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
Last edited:

Casus

Ganger
Yak Comp 1st Place
Aug 17, 2014
Toronto, Canada
SO.... a bit of a scramble to make the midnight BST Deadline, but here it is:

The Ghostraven Tribe and their precious Scrap Totem, complete with glowing (LED) crystal Ghostraven skull!!!

I wanted to do something fun to model, AND useful on the tabletop, and since I've never quite got around to finishing my actual Escher models this seemed like a good choice:

A "counts as" Escher gang - the load-out of the models is loosely based on one of the Goonhammer Escher starter lists (since I have no idea what I'm doing with Escher), with the Ravens proxying Phelynxes (Phelynxii?) + a few extra bits and bobs (and bodies) because they looked neat... Lots of Toxin weapons and a few Escher mainstays like Lasguns & a plasmagun leader to give some punch!

Close up on the Ghostraven Skull:

Scrap Totem (only):

and a quick video of the final effect, although the video has a bit of that annoying "LED flicker" that you don't see IRL:

I've got some detail work still to do, but I'm out of oomph today after the final push to get some paint on the totem and the LED wired up. Still, can't wait to try these out in a match :D

Last edited:

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Soo... It is almost midnight, and I pushed myself to finish this guy as best as I could before I have to head to bed, so I'm not a complete zombie tomorrow morning.

Since I started painting at about 14:00, and found out the competition ends today a little later, I could say painting journey of this guardsman was a... Blitzkrieg.

Last edited:

julezwr

Juve
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 9, 2020
Nelson, New Zealand
T
Soo... It is almost midnight, and I pushed myself to finish this guy as best as I could before I have to head to bed, so I'm not a complete zombie tomorrow morning.

Since I started painting at about 14:00, and found out the competition ends today a little later, I could say painting journey of this guardsman was a... Blitzkrieg.

Great work! That camouflage is amazing!

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
A chance meeting in the ruins
"No no, please come closer! Stay a while. Let me tell you about Yr-Hwn Sydd'Yn-Llygru!"
Tf05jdw.jpg

Attachments

• Tf05jdwm.jpg
    Tf05jdwm.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 12

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
LED stuff
Since electronics keep me from dying of hunger or becoming homeless, I have a professional interest.

The LED circuitry is built, or bought as a whole? It does not seem to suffer from the superbright LED syndrome most models do suffer, when LEDs are present, which is something I'm happy to see!
Good work!

Reactions: trollmeat

Casus

Ganger
Yak Comp 1st Place
Aug 17, 2014
Toronto, Canada
The LED circuitry is built, or bought as a whole? It does not seem to suffer from the superbright LED syndrome most models do suffer
I'd love to take some credit here, but I'm more on the "duct tape or wd40" level of handy - I pilfered the LED with colourshift (built right into the bulb) from a dollar-store electronic tea light, powered by a watch battery.

The all in one nature + small power source (plus like you pointed out: not too bright luminance) is great for scenery!