Competition Yakcomp 40: "Anything Goes”

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
I got this lot in my mailbox :

full.jpg

Let's strip them and see how to turn them into Marines renegades as per the Rogue Trader illustration :

full.jpg

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
The Marines have been stripped from their paint.

full.jpg

Of course, all plastic bits were lost in the chemical process (and some others still wonder why some of us still stick to barbarious relics like precious metals...).

Now let's tour our bits box, and have some brainstorming session...

[TBC]

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Of course, all plastic bits were lost in the chemical process (and some others still wonder why some of us still stick to barbarious relics like precious metals)

Biostrip20 or French equivalent is your friend. Strips models fantastically and preserves the plastic. Bit late now, but maybe useful information for someone.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
I use mineral oil based brake fluid. Castrol brand, as of late. Turns GW acrylics into a weird rubbery film that can usually be pulled off in one go. Important to take the stuff without any additives. Leaves plastic mostly alone, forgot an old marine in a pot of it for a few days, only caused light misting.

Only real downside is that you have to really thoroughly scrub it off the models afterwards because even miniscule residue in nooks and crannies will absolutely ruin fresh paint. That and you really need to wear gloves using it. It does not give off any weird fumes and isn't especially toxic, but it does not play nice with the oils and fat on and in human skin.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I've found it struggles with some primers on a few things I've bought on eBay. For example on the night goblins, half of them came out like brand new, the other half lost some of the acrylic paint but the black primer stayed behind and seemed to hold onto some of the acrylics. Which is why they stayed in for a year, to see if the others would eventually come clean. They're still easily re-painted though.

Resmire

Gang Champion
Tribe Council
Aug 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I've found it struggles with some primers on a few things I've bought on eBay. For example on the night goblins, half of them came out like brand new, the other half lost some of the acrylic paint but the black primer stayed behind and seemed to hold onto some of the acrylics. Which is why they stayed in for a year, to see if the others would eventually come clean. They're still easily re-painted though.
I've found iso struggles with anything with a gloss prime finish personally, but like you say normally you can just prime over a prime if it isn't caked on.

Reactions: trollmeat and Tiny

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
To be honest, I didn't care about these marines plastic bits. My intent was to convert the miniatures to make them more suited to an underhive setting, and less "army regular" looking.

But thank you all for your tips regarding appropriate paint stripper for plastic parts. That will be very useful a day or another. (y)

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
To be honest, I didn't care about these marines plastic bits. My intent was to convert the miniatures to make them more suited to an underhive setting, and less "army regular" looking.

But thank you all for your tips regarding appropriate paint stripper for plastic parts. That will be very useful a day or another. (y)
Topic has been hijacked 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Tiny and Resmire