YakTribe Christmas Exchange 2021! Roll up, roll up, get yer names in!

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
2545E714-7FA6-40E4-B3D7-0271D5E3E6C0.jpeg

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Hm. I kind of want to use the Yakmas paper, but I wont have access to a proper printer until Sunday. Is Monday morning sufficient? I know it says "under way by the 15th" in the first post, so the answer is most likely yes, but I am sometimes an anxious person in need of reassurance...

...or years of working in QA for a large company have left me unable to do anything without explicit and redundant documentation, your pick.

Reactions: Resmire and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Monday is the 15th in my book, so that's fine (y)
And let's be honest there's not a whole lot I can actually do to force people to send theirs by the 15th. Just trust to guilt that everyone has agreed to those terms by signing up, and hope those posting internationally realise how very slow global post is at the moment. I'll be amazed if everyone actually sends (or has even painted) theirs by the 15th.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Austrian routine is this:

24th - Feasting and booze in the evening in the closest circle of relatives to welcome the Christ child, who brings the presents.
25th - Feasting from midday on to evening with more distant family and friends (and booze)
26th - Feasting and booze from morning to evening, usually with friends and those weird relatives you barely ever meet
27th - short break for health reasons
28th - Eating leftovers you forgot about, more booze because you might as well clear the decks before buying fresh booze for New Year's

We are apparently what is called an "indulgence permissive culture", according to a study I once saw. And I admit we may have a bit of a normalized alcohol problem.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
hope those posting internationally realise how very slow global post is at the moment.

I'll second this sentiment. Literally seeing parcels from UK to some EU countries taking 30-45 days to be delivered. That and they seem to be randomly returning parcels or adding massive customs charges. Its got to the point where sending a parcel to Australia or the US is less risky than sending to Germany.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
In all the (mostly negative) excitement of the last few days, I forgot to mention that I have met with success, and according to the Austrian postal service, a small but sturdy box containing +++redacted+++ has cleared their depots early yesterday morning and is underway on an international adventure!

Lady at the counter said the package should reach +++redacted+++ in 4-5 business days, one week at most. Let us hope she is correct, and let us hope I managed to get all the details right and there will not be shenanigans with badly legible addresses or customs. The amount of anxiety involved with posting a package was a sensation I had forgotten about completely.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
I post hundreds of parcels every week and every so often there's still anxiety. Particularly posting something that is a one-off that you've made and painted yourself.
This was actually the first time I posted a package internationally, believe it or not, and naturally I made a huge blunder, which will hopefully be survivable. I assumed they'd put something like a cheap outer box around the package, or at least tell me that this is not included, because you know, customer service. But no, the incredibly rude lady behind the counter (rude even by the standards of a city infamous for rudeness) barely grunted when she took the package, made me sign a customs form and off it went.

When I started wondering about this on the way home and returned to ask no 15 minutes later, I was informed by an even ruder lady that the package was already on the way to the central depot, from where it left the country yesterday, so at least they're efficient..

It's a sturdy box and wrapped in paper, so it ought to survive as is, but it does have me worried now. Oh well, all in the Emperor's hands now.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
It's good to know postal workers across the world share a similar sunny disposition - the lady I posted mine with seemed personally offended by my very presence and my sheer gall to be posting a parcel - if not for simply existing in her general vicinity. I thought she might stab me when I said it was going internationally.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
It's good to know postal workers across the world share a similar sunny disposition - the lady I posted mine with seemed personally offended by my very presence and my sheer gall to be posting a parcel - if not simply existing in her general vicinity. I thought she might stab me when I said it was going internationally.
Yes, that was exactly my experience, down to the glare. And it's nostalgic, you know. When I was little, the mail was still state-owned, but it's good to know that certain traditions and rituals persevered through the transition to a private company.

Last edited:

NoOneII.

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
That grumpyness being an international phenomenon might be a hint that internationally it's a shitty job in shitty conditions with shitty headhonchos doing shitty things to their employers all the time. :/

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
That grumpyness being an international phenomenon might be a hint that internationally it's a shitty job in shitty conditions with shitty headhonchos doing shitty things to their employers all the time. :/
Don't get me wrong, I worked retail for a while, I know customer service positions are terrible, which is why I go out of my way to be friendly in such situations. But at my local post office, friendliness is apparently seen as a sign of weakness or something, and they seem to have an internal competition going who can give you the most accurate demonstration of being treated with the absolute minimum for courtesy required.

And I mean, she seriously was rude by Viennese standards, and according to studies, we are the second rudest people in Europe after the Parisians.