1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YakTribe Competition 14 "Neglected Youth"

Discussion in 'Tribe News' started by djmothra, May 25, 2016.

?

YakTribe Comp 14 Neglected Youth

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes on Jul 14, 2016.
Poll closed Jul 14, 2016.
  1. @grimwork with Cole "Rustie" Rust -The Kid

18.2%
  2. @Stoof with Mags The Mutie - Escher Juve

9.1%
  3. @Mad Sergeant with Blue Orange - Escher Juve

57.6%
  4. @Jaws with Sonja, Slyde and Ulfang

18.2%
  5. @Xavier Bacon with Brian

36.4%
  6. @KungFuPanda with "Point of No Return"

18.2%
  7. @simon with Delaque Noob

12.1%
  8. @Silk with Deathskullz Yoof

6.1%
  9. @Kaludram with Orlock Juves

3.0%
  10. @trollmeat with Hernia & The Man-Cave

12.1%
  11. @Scumb4g with Cawdor Juves

42.4%
  12. @SirFrog with Carl "Blondie" Scheele the Van Saar juve

21.2%
  13. @Dixie with Trigger - Hive Guys

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Azzabat

Azzabat Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place Yak Funder

Map
    I was going to say that initially I also couldn't see the difference in painting a stock model, and painting a previously converted model. Surely both are being painted from scratch. But then when I actually thought about it ... the converted model could possibly add a flavour of it's own to the finished piece, just by the alterations/pose etc. which try as we might to ignore, the brain/eyes would (subconsciously) see. So now I see the logic behind not allowing a previously converted figure being allowed.

2. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
    Staff Member Yak Comp 1st Place Yak Supporter

Map
    @djmothra one for your final decision re previously converted models.

For me I'd only let people use stuff that you can buy off the shelf and then if they want to sculpt, cast etc you have to do so within the comp deadlines ie it must be a 100% new project. But I'm aware we have allowed models peeps have cast themselves in the past because it gets complicated. Especially if people who run their own model making companies enter (I can think of two yakkers at least who fit this category).

djmothra and trollmeat like this.
  3. djmothra

djmothra Magister Competere
    Yak Comp 2nd Place Yak Supporter

Map
    Whilst it is an odd area - we need to try and be fair across the board as much as possible - everyone has a project that they have just started or finished when a new comp comes up!

Say for example that this comp was to only paint Van Saar Juve Number 2 from the original boxed set, and everyone had 4 weeks to do it. If someone had previously heavily converted it already, that would be an unfair advantage. Of course conversions are allowed (and encouraged!) but all conversion work needs to be done during the competition time (as @ClockworkOrange as said already)

BUT, having said that - how converted is the mini? There is a difference between "I've green Stuffed a slightly longer pony tail onto my Van Saar dude" and "Full head swap, fully magntized, heavilly green stuffed so much that he looks more like a Mongolian Yak herder now"

We have in the past allowed minis with a little work done already before - Entrants are usual hit with a time penalty (IIRC, "Start one week later" - I think CWO came up with last comp :) )

TakUnderhand and trollmeat like this.
  4. djmothra

Map
    I'm entering this one too - gonna start my Ratskin Gang...and i'll start with a few Braves :)

TakUnderhand, trollmeat and spafe like this.
  5. Ben_S

Ben_S Hive Guilder

Map
    I agree that the rules have to be fair for everyone - but the issue is what is fair for everyone.

I agree with that, but then it seems odd to allow casts of a previous conversion, since that would also benefit from flavour added by conversion work done outside the competition period. I just don't see much difference between painting a conversion that was made before the competition period and painting a recast of a conversion made before the competition period. They'll look identical.

It also raises questions about 'stock' models. Can these be already assembled, so long as not converted?

trollmeat likes this.
  6. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
    Staff Member Yak Comp 1st Place Yak Supporter

Map
    I don't disagree @Ben_S but does that mean I can buy and enter one of @Mad Robot 's or @Flamekebab 's models but they can't because they skulpted and made them originally? That doesn't seem fair either! As I say it's complicated.

Best bet show us what you want to enter and the judges will make as fair a decision as possible.

I believe @Loriel had to perform a few ritual humiliations last time (photos are available!)

7. djmothra

Map
    C'mon guys...

Rules of all Competitions

1. All entries must be started from new. Example: This means nothing half built, or something that has been on your shelf for a few months gathering dust. A Primed mini, or one that is about to be stripped would be ok though (so long you actually strip it)
    The reason for this is, having something already semi-finished is an unfair advantage.

If you're gonna make a casting of a previous conversion, go for it...but the casting MUST be made during the competition time. As it says, everything must be new.

If this mini-ruling needs to be added to the main rules then I will do so - it's never really been an issue before - everyone has been happy with the guidelines and have happily followed them - we do allow little things through occasionally - this is mainly down to the honesty of you guys!

Whilst we've been easy on this by allowing a few through that might have been started a few days before (see my above comment about the Van Saar Pony Tail) - something extensively converted does not fit into the criteria (unless otherwise stated in the rules - yes, at some point in the future we we'll have "Finish that half painted model" Comps - but this isn't one)

These competitions are here to test us outside of what we'd normally do - they are also supposed to be fun.

#27 djmothra, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  8. Ben_S

Ben_S Hive Guilder

Map
    I'm not trying to cause trouble here; it's just really unclear to me what is and isn't allowed. For instance:

I know some people prime on sprue but, since you refer to a primed or stripped mini, I'll assume it's fully built. Why is something fully built and even primed ok, but entering something that's half built and unprimed would be an unfair advantage?

Attempts to draw a line between what's in and out can always face the difficulty that there's no real difference between things just to either side of the line (the 'how many grains of sand make a heap?' problem), but this isn't simply an example of that - the primed mini is much more 'started' than the half built one.

However:

I don't actually have anything in mind to enter. I probably won't bother with this one, unless inspiration strikes, and if I do it will probably be something 'new' (since I can't think of anything I have lying around that's suitable). So, it's purely academic interest. Having made my point, I'm happy to leave it there.

trollmeat likes this.
  9. djmothra

Map
    We're nice people really :)

FAQs

Can I make XXXXXXX?
    If you think that your idea for an entry is on the boundary of the criteria, then please ask on the thread, we will give a Yes or No
    (again, please don't get angry if we deny it - believe us, we do have good reasons - and not just because we are evil! :) )

So, exactly as CWO has said - show us what you have and we'll call it from there :)

10. djmothra

Map
    Ok, just do you guys know- I've long had the idea of using the WGF Woodland Indians as Ratskins ( I think @Malika found them) I've had them for a while but only ever made one before.

Here is the start of my new gang - gonna make 3 braves (the rest of the gang will get made in the future)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of GSing to do yet still :)

Full progress on my Necro blog below

#30 djmothra, May 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
  11. BeardLegend

BeardLegend I can't grow a beard

Map
    Hello ...

... comp rules clarifications aside, i would like to enter. I reckon it's mostly about taking part, which is why strict rules haven't been set during over a dozen competitions. We're not Golden Daemon.

I plan to sculpt a Delaque Juve from scratch. Pure GS. Will start a new thread for this and my future comp entries ... the interesting aspect (i don't plan to win. My painting is mediocre) will be that i will be working from tutorials, making notes on what works and giving thoughts of an amature/intermediate sculptors perspective.

Will post the odd pic here for the sake of the comps rules/guidelines ... but mainly i will link my wordy and self obsessed ramblings back to my thread for those who are interested...

... this should save the rest of you from my gigantic ego.

Azzabat, Fold, KungFuPanda and 5 others like this.
  12. Scumb4g

Scumb4g Gang Champion
    Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    I think that is the difference between other painting competitions and the competitions here. Usually they are about painting but here they are about the whole project. I understand the rules and know where they are coming from, I just find it a shame as I always like using competitions to stimulate me to paint mini's I need painted, rather than creating a new project.

trollmeat likes this.
  13. TakUnderhand

TakUnderhand Gang Hero
    Yak Funder

Map
    Small beginnings... may yet restart...
    IMG_20160528_081652.jpg

14. TakUnderhand

TakUnderhand Gang Hero
    Yak Funder

Map
    Hey @BeardLegend, you have probably read this already, but I heartily recommend reading James Van Schaik's blog.
    Look forward to reading your plog :)

trollmeat and BeardLegend like this.
  15. TakUnderhand

TakUnderhand Gang Hero
    Yak Funder

Map
    Ooops, this was supposed to go on my plog, sorry!

Attached Files:

#35 TakUnderhand, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    trollmeat likes this.
  16. TakUnderhand

TakUnderhand Gang Hero
    Yak Funder

Map
    Latest on the comp entry
    IMG_20160528_103001.jpg

djmothra, grimwork and trollmeat like this.
  17. BeardLegend

BeardLegend I can't grow a beard

Map
    #37 BeardLegend, May 28, 2016
  18. grimwork

grimwork Ganger
    Yak Comp 1st Place

Map
    #scan completed_
    #opening stasis chamber_
    #executing_

Hey, count me in! I hope painting a classic miniature is ok?

19. Kaludram

Kaludram Ganger
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Well, I decided a posse of Orlock juves will be my entry. Check the progress out on my Necro Resurrection - Orlocks thread.

6046e09b-5cb4-4db9-af61-d1b41004e2c2_zpsiqer2apx.jpg
    There will be a total of 7 Juves. With the exception of the Hasselfree mini, all are used minis that need various amounts of stripping and/or repair to get them ready for competition. I picked them up used, and they were in sad shape. The two original GW metal minis will be left "as is". The plastic guys will get new weapons; I'll probably give two of them new heads just to change them up a bit, but I am keeping them basic.

The centerpiece and real ZERO of the crew is going to be the Hasselfree guy. Simple conversion to make him look like a punk that is trying to tease someone into a fight. He has a great pose already--leaning forward in his hoodie just a little. We'll see how he turns out...

#39 Kaludram, May 28, 2016
  20. trollmeat

trollmeat Hive Guilder
    Yak Comp 2nd Place

I seem to recall, at the end of the last competition, asking that the next one have a theme broad enough that I could continue my terrain binge...

...when I was told that the decision had been passed down to me and I was shown the list of previous themes, I saw a gap (see ramble at top of thread)... and have been wracking my brain ever since trying to figure out a terrain piece that would be appropriate.

Not being able to come up with anything I have decide to destroy an old plastic Orlock. No point posting a pic till the mutilaion has further progressed - it is just the knife wielding model with stub gun. :)

djmothra and TakUnderhand like this.