YakTribe Competition Rules

djmothra

Magister Competere
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jan 6, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, VietNam
YakTribes Monthly Competition Rules

Firstly, I'd like to say a big thank you for the support for the first one, I was very surprised at the turnout and all the entries were excellent.

There were some Rules and Regulations laid out in the first competition - We haven't really changed any of them, we are just adding them here, so everyone can see.

Competition Criteria

One of the perks of winning, is getting to choose the next competition criteria. All that we require is that it covers at least 2 of the 3 main games we showcase here.
The winner of the competition will discuss with us privately (the staff) and we will post up the new competition as and when we have agreed on the new criteria and how it will work.

Rules of all Competitions

1. All entries must be started from new. Example: This means nothing half built, or something that has been on your shelf for a few months gathering dust. A Primed mini, or one that is about to be stripped would be ok though (so long you actually strip it)
The reason for this is, having something already semi-finished is an unfair advantage - especially for Terrain.

2. You MUST stick to the competition guidelines as they are written, any one going outside these boundaries could get disqualified from the competition.
If I, or another MoS (Member of Staff) make a judgement call allowing something slightly outside this boundary, then that is ok - but you must ask and get permission to do so first (Please don't get angry if we say no).
(Also, we're not going to come round with a tape measure and ruler checking exact dimensions (if they are part of the criteria) - if a criteria says: No more that 40mmx40mm and one ends up as 42mm on one side, its ok)

3. You must reply to the Original Comp thread telling us of your intention to join the competition - post a link to you WiP/Blog so we can check on your updates.

4. You must keep a WiP of the entry in your personal blog.

5. You must post your finished entry to the competition blog BEFORE the deadline - which will be given in the first post - anyone posting after this is not eligible for entry.

6. NEW - When posting your final entry, you must include a little information about the entry - example: dimensions or materials used for terrain, parts used for conversions etc - nothing too detailed, after all that is what your WiP is for.

After the Deadline, members of the forums (anyone, not just people who entered) can vote for the winners.

Voting (Subject to Change)

Yaktribe member then get to vote on their 3 (three) favorite entries (we have done away with having to choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd - now, you just pick your 3 favorites)

The Entry with the most votes will be crowned the winner, the next highest will be 2nd and next will be third.

In the event of a tie (2 entries with the same amount of votes) then @djmothra & @Malo will make the final decision.

Extras

PLEASE NOTE - Occasionally, a competition will come up that defies some of the above rules (mainly the first rule) when this happens, the actual competition post will have the special rule included in the criteria.
The rule change will only apply to THAT Competition, subsequent competitions, unless they say otherwise will revert to the normal rules here.

All Competition have their own rules too, which will be posted in the Thread.

WINNING!

The winner gets the chose the next Competition Criteria (See above) and has the winning picture shown on all the other Social sites (FB & G+ etc), and of course massive kudos and applause from everyone!
We do have a few more ideas for the future, they are still in the pipeline, so watch this space!

Last edited:

djmothra

Magister Competere
Yak Supporter
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jan 6, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, VietNam
FAQs

Can I make XXXXXXX?
If you think that your idea for an entry is on the boundary of the criteria, then please ask on the thread, we will give a Yes or No
(again, please don't get angry if we deny it - believe us, we do have good reasons - and not just because we are evil! :) )

Why do I need a WiP?
The WiP (Images and short descriptions) are needed because:
1. It demonstrates to us and other members that you are actually making the entry during the competition time.
2. It gives us something to talk about by making comments and suggestions.

Can I enter more than once?
Yes, of course! But, each entry is treated separately. Example: AndyT81 gets 100points of voting on an awesome entry. djmothra get 99points for Entry 1 and another 99points for Entry 2 - Andy is still the winner.

Can the Competition Organizer win their own Competition?
Yes, they are free to enter the competition as normal (and encouraged to do so) but, if they win for the second time (in a row) then the second place entry will decide on the next criteria (and it gives the competition baton to someone new)

What if I win, but don't want to choose the next criteria or have no time to do so?
That's fine, we understand - in the event this happens - @djmothra and @Malo will come up with a new one for you (with possible input from the 2nd place entry)

Last edited:

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
This post is a work in progress, bear with me!

Yak 20: Old Skool Style (June 2017)

Make a scene or narative using your minis and scenery that tells an awesome story, same as how old WD used to.

Yakcomp 19: Bits Box Challenge (April 2017)
Make something (anything) from ONLY using the old or spare parts that are languishing in your bits box or bag. Nothing 'new' is allowed to be bought or acquired for this comp, it must come from previously unused stuff. Show us a picture of your bits box before you start!
1st place is @Llewy with Hive Guys:
final-hive-guys-franchise-jpg.jpg

2nd place is @djmothra with the KHRAPLIDUN Airship
20170522_101003-jpg.jpg

3rd place is @Xavier Bacon with The Doctor will see you now.
WsGKxwj.jpg

Yak 18: Wyrd Wyrd World (February 2017)
Create a beast master and critters. New beast masters could be anything Pyro, Telepath, telekinetic, Necromonger, Ratskin Shaman, Psyker, Cultist Demongogue etc etc the limit is your imagination but it must be "Wyrd"!
1st place is @Ned Noodle with Professor and Crab Bots
roxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fg3EUwDg.png

2nd place is @KommissarShriken with Despicable in the Hive
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F3OgUpUl.png

3rd place is @djmothra with Mousling Bee Keeper
20170318_083455-jpg.jpg

Yak 17: Never Judge a .... by it's cover (November 2016)
Recreate an Album or Book cover - but obviously 'update' it to fit with our Necro, Inq28, GoMo, & MH (FG) themes. This can be a bit of Scenery, a Vehicle, a mini or a mixture of all three. Your initial and Final Entry must include a pic of the Album / Book cover as well.

Yak 16: Pop Culture (September 2016)
Make or paint something that is based or themed on Pop Culture!
It could be a Movie, a Comic, a TV Show, a Band, a Book etc basically any real life entertainment serves as the theme for this one. This can be a Mini, a Vehicle or a bit of terrain - it's basically open season time - no size restrictions. BUT... we are banning any references to Arnie or Sly - that means no Running Man, Predator, Terminator, Rambo, Conan, Rocky, Judge Dredd etc.

Yak 15: The BFG (July 2016)
Everyone loves BFGs (That's Big "Freaking" Guns or Giants). Make and / or paint something that has a massive weapon, can support / carry a massive weapon or maybe is a massive weapon already!

Yak 14: Neglected Youth (May 2016)
Make / model / paint a brand new "ZERO XP" member for you to use.

Yak 13: It Came From The... (March 2016)
Make / Paint a Monster or some Monsters - this is our first ever dedicated monsters competition: some kind of 'It came from the sump' scenario, wandering monsters, summons or perhaps something a little more mysterious.

Yak 12: Open Season (January 2016)
You can make anything you like BUT, the following rules apply here:
1. Make that thing that you've always wanted to make, but haven't got round to doing...yet.
2. Cannot be something that you have already started (no finishing something unfinished)
3. You must also submit a picture of the raw materials or parts you will use before your start.

Yak 11: Holiday Spirit (December 2015)
Create a Holiday themed Special Character. The holiday in question does NOT need to be Christmas related. We'd also like you to come up with a little fluff / background - maybe even some special rules for your 'Holiday Themed' Special Character too.

Yak 10: Unusual Suspects (October 2015)
Make / start a non-standard gang. It must NOT be from an official rule book or official supplement. Resources like Gang War, Town Crier, Gubbinz & White Dwarf are ok, as well as some of the home-brew rules that we have stored in the vault. We don't want Goliaths or Redemptionists, oh no, we want Ash Wastes or PDF Deserters.

Yak 9: Triple Age of Trouble (August 2015)
We would like you to make 3 of something - the very same item through 3 different ages. We're looking for 3 models, one is minimum xp, one is at promotion XP (or thereabouts) and the last one max xp - of the same gang / warband member.

Yak 8: Rise of the Machines (June 2015)
Make and / or model an Artificial Construct of any type! Ideas include, but not limited to: Puppets, Robots, Servo Skulls, Servitors, Steam Powered Warriors, Lightning Powered Undead, Warpstone Skaven Constructs etc. Merely steampunk / cyborg the crap out of something!

Yak 7: House Of Cards (April 2015)
Build a group with at least two members of a Noble House, Brats, Servants or a Lord for Necromunda... A Made Ork, who earned his place on the hulk for Gorkamorka... or an equivalent for Mordheim - Mayor, Knight!

Yak 6: Pimp My Ride (March 2015)
Make some kind of vehicle / transport for your gang/warband/mob etc. There is no minimum (or maximum!) base size. The model must be able to, or look like it can actually transport people.

Yak 5: Lawmakers & Rule-Breakers! (January 2015)
Everyone is either on one side of the law or the other... except when you're skirting the boundaries! This is an open category so any of the following are allowed: Miniatures / Buildings / Scenery. Build must clearly be at one end or the other end of the spectrum (either a Lawmaker or a Rule-Breaker).

Yak 4: Model a Member (November 2014)
Model a figure based on your own or another forum users name, it can be any special character, gang warband member, special, heavy, hired gun etc but must be a single 28mm miniature.

Yak 3: Make an Entrance (August 2014)
Make an Entrance to: A Settlement, Hideout, Trading Post, Castle, Cemetery, Sewer, Mine, hell - even a Vault! You must start a new project: no semi-finished projects.

Yak 2: Scenery for Scenarios (June 2014)
Make at least three identical token, on a 40mm max base.

Yak 1: Hired Gun (May 2014)
Make a WYSIWYG Hireling of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Glad to hear that it is useful! I was looking for the history myself, and thought it wouldn't take that much more time to actually put it in a post.

Now, what do you mean by competition section? Are you creating a new forum section, or something? That could be cool :) Or one way or another to save each comp properly, and make sure no entry (at least the winning ones) disapears when the image hoster dies, or something :p

I have to admit, I have been too lazy to directly link all the images, but with some more work, one could properly link to 1st, 2nd and 3rd for each comp... feel free to edit my post, and/or delete, etc.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
You know we've never come up with a good name for the competitions and I think they need one. They're going to be a more featured item in Yak Next and more promotions with 3rd parties to provide actual rewards. We need something catchy though.

Reactions: Llewy

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Also ... drinking beer at half 2 in the morning? Good God sir, you're nearly as bad as me! o_O

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Ahhh. I sometimes forget The Yak spans the globe.

As for me, even though I'm in the Uk I'm involved with the Pub trade, so I tend to run on Eastern Standard time.
01:00hrs (closing time) is effectively 17:00hrs for me hence why I'm still texting at 04:00hrs in the morning.

(Also I'm pretty sure I'm a Vampyre and would combust if I ever saw Sunlight again!). :eek:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
1. All entries must be started from new. Example: This means nothing half built, or something that has been on your shelf for a few months gathering dust. A Primed mini, or one that is about to be stripped would be ok though (so long you actually strip it)
The reason for this is, having something already semi-finished is an unfair advantage - especially for Terrain.
While the entry must be started from new, is it allowed to (re)use some things that you've done some previous work on? For instance, if you make your own flock, I assume you can use some supplies that you made earlier, rather than making up a brand new batch. Similarly, can you cannibalise parts of previously (part-)assembled models, in order to make them into something else (i.e. your competition entry)?

This just occurred to me as I was thinking of using some offcuts from a previous build. In the end I decided I'd be better off making what I needed from scratch anyway, but thought general clarification would be handy. I take it that I could have used old bits, so long as what I was using them for was a new project.

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
We are pretty relaxed tbh - and I tend to leave it to the individuals own judgement.

Home made flock absolutely ok, but a fully assembled but unpainted something maybe / maybe not. If you are unsure take a photo and share it with the tribe and we’ll make a judgement.

People in the past have been asked to spend an evening meditating or to wear a silly costume etc to make up for the time saved, again I’ve no way of knowing they actually do this and it’s up to the individuals Yak honour. Although photos have been shared of silly outfits!

Personally I tend to start one project finish it and move on but I’ve got two in my scenery cupboard that cause me eternal shame! Both comp entry’s as it happens!

Reactions: Azzabat and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Thanks. Like I said, the immediate thing that prompted the question is sorted anyway - I erred on the side of not using old material, but sometimes that would seem obviously fine (as with the flock).

I guess it's difficult to draw the line between what's clearly ok and what's clearly not. One of those 'how many grains of sand in a heap?' issues (Sorites paradox I think it is).

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
I think ages ago I came down on the wrong side of the casting issue i.e. could you use stuff you had made previously and use a cast.

I said no on the basis that you could quite easily get quite a head start, but then what’s the difference with using a precast kit made by GW? Nothing, so we now allow it.

I think as long as you show what you’ve done and used, the voting Yakkers will ultimately decide if it’s fair game. There’s lots of highly skilled peeps knocking around these days, so to win you need to meet the brief, with a good unique idea, good presentation as well as top notch hobby skills.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't know what is the right line there. You could equally say what's the difference between using a cast of something you made earlier and the original? They seem more alike to me, as opposed to using a precast GW kit - which most will recognise as a stock model.

I'm glad I don't have to make these distinctions - though I think you're right that leaving it to the voters is probably best.