Yaktribe - the Roleplaying game

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
I’m going to go for the ‘work it out as you tell me off approach’ to learning this one!
Are there any stats or skills I should be looking at while we wait for another brave handsome yak to join in!?

Perhaps you could condense some of the stuff you’ve written into spoiler boxes in the first post?
E.g.
<basic rules>
<skills>
Etc.
Good idea. I haven't used spoilers yet. And I will have to do it when I'm on the laptop as it's tricky to copy the info on the mobile.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
Can one theoretally...
???

edit: Yes. This gives me an idea for creating a reference chart online.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
I’m going to go for the ‘work it out as you tell me off approach’ to learning this one!
Are there any stats or skills I should be looking at while we wait for another brave handsome yak to join in!?
I was told that the best way to learn a game is to be taught it by an experienced player. That way not only the rules are learned but more importantly the funnest way to play is learnt too.

The stat increase 'skills' are supposed to be important and looking at the skills that boost approach rolls is useful to start with as they can be chosen before a game is ever played.

Maybe this is a good time to describe the different approaches. The successful approach gives you bonuses on success but come with the heftiest downsides. Whereas the survivor approach is the opposite. It comes with the easiest downsides but expect less out of your results. It's good for protecting characters. The weirdo approach is the oddball of the group. It comes with a lot of room for random craziness.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
In terms of getting skills think of characters as fortnite battle royal characters, and not d&d characters. Look for the skills that you want and create the situations to get them (basically farm for them). But the character literally respawns so don't worry about dying because all you have lost is your 'loot' (skills). Unlike d&d where the aim is to reach level 20 (or 40 or whatever it is) and the higher the level the more time you put into it.

This skill farming is intentional so that it incentivizes players to drive the plot along and the game doesn't grind to a halt because the GM isn't so present.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
@CaptainDangerous

So it's looking like no one else is interested in in the project for the time being. it's a shame, but I told myself to only put effort into the design stage as long as I am having fun, which without others is this point.

Are you still up for a little bash at it captain D? Perhaps each taking a PC and doing the GM stuff collaboratively? I have a seed for a short session already.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous