Youtubers!

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
GW didn't seem to be using her in a "sex sells" manner, not unless you're into scarves, fake flying hats and fake flight goggles

Remember the audience. Bikinis and pouty lips aren't going to cut it with the nerds. The "girl next door" and "hello fellow nerds" looks are what sells in this market.

Also she most likely is a nerd and likes all these things. She just also happens to be pretty so got a job selling this stuff.

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
GW didn't seem to be using her in a "sex sells" manner, not unless you're into scarves, fake flying hats and fake flight goggles, as they dressed her up in for the Aeronautica Imperialis video.

Cosplay you say? *rubs thighs frantically*

(There's an age test for you, who remembers that reference?)

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
My main grumble about YouTubers these days is that it seems a lot of them are making videos purely to shill a product. i.e. the topic of the video is the product being shilled.
I’d say that’s Google’s fault as they kept tightening the stranglehold of monetisation until now you need x amount of watch time, x amount of engagement and x amount of subscribers before you can even get a sniff of the crumbs they offer.
This, like Patreon is a by-pass of the system.

That set in years ago, I remember the Patreon thing coming into existence and it always felt like a virtual begging bowl back then. Now it’s practically mandatory as it’s impossible to make any serious money from adrev alone for a beginning channel.

I think the “sponsored content” is also an evolution of that, but it does come across at times as poorly and desperate as the old Patreon stuff did back in 2015.

Now if Adsense was still fairly generous I could imagine that we’d probably get more videos that are made from love rather than necessity. Though there’d still be video-farming channels regurgitating others content as a cash grab. Or the annoying vlogs with no actual content of any kind. I’m glad they’re gone now.

Sadly most of the innovative stuff also seemed to go when the ad revenue was cut back.

Of course there was the line of thinking that YouTube was better before monetisation as stuff was posted by for the fun of it and to share info between enthusiasts. Of course once money became a thing then there will always be those seeking to exploit that.

Reactions: Tiny
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
I’d say that’s Google’s fault as they kept tightening the stranglehold of monetisation until now you need x amount of watch time, x amount of engagement and x amount of subscribers before you can even get a sniff of the crumbs they offer.
This, like Patreon is a by-pass of the system.

That set in years ago, I remember the Patreon thing coming into existence and it always felt like a virtual begging bowl back then. Now it’s practically mandatory as it’s impossible to make any serious money from adrev alone for a beginning channel.

I think the “sponsored content” is also an evolution of that, but it does come across at times as poorly and desperate as the old Patreon stuff did back in 2015.

Now if Adsense was still fairly generous I could imagine that we’d probably get more videos that are made from love rather than necessity. Though there’d still be video-farming channels regurgitating others content as a cash grab. Or the annoying vlogs with no actual content of any kind. I’m glad they’re gone now.

Sadly most of the innovative stuff also seemed to go when the ad revenue was cut back.

Of course there was the line of thinking that YouTube was better before monetisation as stuff was posted by for the fun of it and to share info between enthusiasts. Of course once money became a thing then there will always be those seeking to exploit that.

Sounds a lot like Twitch also.

I've viewed a couple of channels on Twitch, and the impression I got from them is that it's a virtual begging bowl. Every couple of minutes you see messages on screen about "x y or z" giving money (or whatever terminology they use) and the channel hosts/owners/whatever are always, every couple of minutes, giving thanks, reminding people to "like and subscribe" or whatever Twitch's terminology for it is.

It detracts from the content, especially if the content is good and genuine. Kenny Boucher's Twitch stream, is unfortunately unwatchable because of all the peripheral graphics on screen that are nothing to do with the subject matter.

I watched one Twitch stream, after the fact, and the first 5 minutes was just the guy constantly thanking his donors. Eventually he got around to actually painting something...

Last edited:

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Also, nowadays there miiiiight still be Videos around of people who do it without any professionalism, but lotsa love.
The Algorythm won't care, though, and so no one is ever gonna find those. :/
Yeah you can still find them buuuuuuut... because of the way more channels are polished in their appearance now, those ones that aren’t need to pick up their game else people click off really quick as they think the lack of visual quality = lack of content quality. It’s not 2015 anymore, or 2010. You at least need a backdrop that’s interesting and reasonably well lit.

There are algorithmic issues everywhere but it’s still possible to fine cool stuff despite YouTube’s best efforts to offer up random things you’re not interested in and more of the same from the creators you’ve just watched.

Live streaming seems to be the last bastion of the “recording this in my bedroom” stuff.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I'm going to pop a vessel if I hear "Streaking Grime" one more time 😄
Just another variation of “put a brown wash over it”.

Woodstain varnish
Devlan Mud
Quickshade
Agrax Earthshade
Burnt sienna oil wash
Any brown Contrast paint.
Streaking Grime

It’s like clockwork, every couple of years a new brown slather is on the market for your models to bathe in and then have most of it cleaned off.

Reactions: Tiny
Apr 22, 2020
For me, I started a YT channel for battle reports to play games. I always collected and painted but never played. Starting the channel helped bring everything full circle as well as give me a lot of quality time with my son. I film everything on an iPhone and edit with free software.

To give you an idea on money and it's going to be different for everyone, my best battle report from a revenue perspective is a Bolt Action battle report. It has been out for almost a year and has made $45 with 15.8k views. Then it drops drastically with the next best being a Necromunda report at $26 (lifetime).

Some of my first Necromunda reports from May 2020 have only earned $5 in total. It's crazy because those reports easily take 12-15 hours to make. That's why I'm very adamant about doing the reports because I'm passionate about them. I don't do Patreon but will do Ko-fi tips for one time donations. That helps offset some costs like PLA for printing new hives, etc.

I will add that I do get contacted from time to time to receive a product. I let them know up front that I will not sign anything that doesn't allow me to give an honest opinion. I also decline any kickbacks tied to sales as I don't want to "shill" as you put it. I want to do things because I genuinely like it and not because I'm getting something on the side.

So I hope that gives you an idea into the monetization side of Youtube for a small content creator. Obviously clickbait thumbnails for an advertisement is how YT makes money and what they promote a lot of. Many of us slide under the rug because of it. I don't do mid-roll ads and only allow ads at the beginning/end of my videos so I'm sure that skews the numbers for me. I just don't want the viewer interrupted once they are watching something.

I genuinely just enjoy making the content though, especially Necromunda. Feel free to reach out if you ever want help starting your own. :)

Last edited: