Zone Mortalis and Necromunda Terrain

Oct 29, 2015
Millis mass
Hello there Fellow Hive scum I have been slowly painting my board working on a 3x3 and I was wondering to most of you glue the terrain on the tiles together? (Walls and floors) or do you leave them modular I keep going back and forth on how to ultimately assemble my table for the completed project. Any thoughts or advice?

Jakkarra

Ganger
Jun 8, 2021
I'd personally say that leaving things modular is a much better bet, unless you are wanting to go for a very detailed set of boards, I suppose.

Though honestly I'm not a huge fan of ZM to begin with, I think the verticality of SM is much more engaging... Though perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I play Enforcers.

Reactions: Lightofthefaithful

Zadgrub

Ganger
Tribe Council
Mar 7, 2018
Des Plaines, IL, USA
I'd personally say that leaving things modular is a much better bet, unless you are wanting to go for a very detailed set of boards, I suppose.

Though honestly I'm not a huge fan of ZM to begin with, I think the verticality of SM is much more engaging... Though perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I play Enforcers.
That's the point of the plastic ZM, it *is* vertically stackable, and it's designed to be fully compatible with the Sector Mechanicus terrain.

Zadgrub

Ganger
Tribe Council
Mar 7, 2018
Des Plaines, IL, USA
Hello there Fellow Hive scum I have been slowly painting my board working on a 3x3 and I was wondering to most of you glue the terrain on the tiles together? (Walls and floors) or do you leave them modular I keep going back and forth on how to ultimately assemble my table for the completed project. Any thoughts or advice?
I tend to like things left as modular as possible, but it's a trade-off. Modularity requires more time and effort to set up a battlefield, but it's easier to store and transport. Static boards give you less set-up options, but are quicker to set up for games, but also more difficult to store and transport.

Reactions: Lightofthefaithful
Jul 15, 2020
I usually start with some bulk or filler material for a scratch build and add the nice parts last.

I still make smaller scatter terrain and objectives, but the larger stuff now is getting less modular and more integrated.

If your terrain collection is small / modest and you play frequently then having modularity is really nice.

Reactions: Zadgrub

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I go modular because I find it easier to pack down into a storage box. I also allows for some flexibility to alter layouts for specific scenarios and to avoid players ‘knowing the best spot to stand’ on fixed tiles.

You can of course mix it up and part build some structures but still leave them flexible for repositioning.

I guess I’m still old school, grew up with individual bits of scenery on their own bases and you strew them about your (flat) gaming surface.

I do love the big thematic tables but find they’re best at shops and gaming halls where you’re not playing over them all the time.

Reactions: futiles